Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I never cared much one way or the other for the ocean. Sure it was pretty and nice to visit, but I'd never really lived close enough to enjoy it on a daily basis. After living in Okinawa for four years and living a 5-minute walk (literally) from the seawall, I didn't realize how accustomed I'd gotten to the blue water, the waves, the smell, the wind and the sound of it all.

Living in a desert now was a shock to my system which likes vibrant colors. How I miss the ocean now. I was looking through some pictures of various places on Oki and I started to get a little homesick for our apartment (there are no street names in Oki so I never really knew what street we lived on) and the frequent walks we'd take down to the seawall. The pictures from different scuba diving adventures (he dove, I snorkeled, if that) now seem so bright. In fact the colors seem fake to me after a year of looking at various shades of brown and yellow.

Happy Atlas running through the water!

Scene from Pizza In The Sky, a great pizza joint on top of a mountain.

The Sunabe Seawall near our apartment
Ahh, Bolen Beach. The gorgeous beach where J.E.B. and I got our truck stuck.

This is from the seawall by our old apartment


No comments:

Post a Comment