Monday, June 27, 2011

As of today we are a family without cable television. Yup, I said it. We no longer have cable tv. I am a little scared of this coming week and how I am going to do. Watching tv has been a sort of hobby of mine for years. I love tv. Its a way for me to literally shut off my mind and relax.

So why did we get rid of it then you ask? Well, J.E.B. is not a tv watcher at all. Sometimes I can convince him to watch a tv show with me, but only sometimes and that tv show will generally be Man Vs. Wild or Dirty Jobs. And lately, I've been watching Netflix through our Wii much more than the actual cable. So we figured, why pay for cable and internet each month when we are really only using the internet?

It was my decision since I am the resident tv-watcher of Team Bolen and it was a hard one for me to make. In the end my curiosity at how I would do without cable overpowered my desire to have it. So I called to cancel it.

Or I should actually say, I tried to cancel it. When I called Time Warner I was first put on the line with a nice woman who accepted my reason for cancelling as logical (we don't use it and don't want to pay for something we aren't using) however, she was new or something and didn't know how to cancel part of an account so she transferred me to someone else. Ok. No problem.

Now, this second person, was not helpful at all. He repeatedly tried to get me to change my mind by asking me in a different way if I was sure I didn't want just a few cable channels (You don't watch Discovery or the History Channel? What if you want to see what's on the news?, etc). After three different questions and three replies of No, just cancel it, I got pissed off. He tried to offer me another plan for cheaper but again, I said no. (Really, how many other ways can I say No? And even though he had a Hispanic accent, No in Spanish is still No in English). He then told me not to get mad at him and when I still said no for a fourth time, he actually asked if I didn't want to check with my husband first? Really? "Check with my husband first?" What am I ten years old and have to ask permission of Dad? Or are we living in some other century/country I'm not aware of where women aren't allowed to make decisions in their homes?

Needless to say, I was more than pissed off and I hung up on him. Poor J.E.B. answered the phone at work to an irate wife who in her irritated excitement rattled off the whole situation in a matter of seconds to him. I do recall him telling me to calm down, but I was too angry/hyper to do so initially. Finally I said that he had to call to cancel since I obviously was not qualified to do so.  Yeah, I may have overreacted a bit.

Anyway, he called, got a nice lady on the phone who was surprised at his story of the jerk I had on the phone and the cable was cancelled by the end of his pleasant conversation.

Oh well. Its over now.

No cable.

Wow.

No cable.

Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment