Sunday, June 26, 2011

Our little spitfire redheaded Victoria turned one year old on 7 June. It was a very fun but strange day for me as I was constantly remembering the day she was born and the week thereafter when she was hooked up "to the Matrix" in the NICU as J.E.B. liked to call it. I have found it humorous that so many sayings about children that you grew up hearing are 1) very, very true and 2) have a deeper, more personal meaning once you have your own kids. So cliche I know!

Well, V turned one year old and she certainly enjoyed herself. We didn't do a huge party (it was just the three of us that night) since we were together in Colorado last month with the Bolen side of the family and celebrated it there and then in one week V and I will be heading to Gettysburg, PA to my parents' house to have the Angelovich reunion.

I did make her a carrot cake and cream cheese frosting though. My, did she like the frosting. I wish I had thought to have the camera ready to snap her picture when I let her lick the spatula. Her tiny mouth opened and very delicately tasted the frosting then a HUGE smile appeared on her face and she opened her mouth to its fullest extent in demand for more. She enjoyed it so much in fact that when I took the spatula away to put it in the sink, she pitched a royal fit. Complete with flinging arms and plopping down at my feet in anger while she wailed her frustration and obscenities at me. But she forgave me a few moments later when I cut her a piece of cake with frosting on it.

This is the Wish-O-Saurus J.E.B. found in Okinawa on his last trip out there. It has spots for up to 10 candles.

Enjoying the carrot cake and cream cheese frosting.

REALLY enjoying the vanilla ice cream!
The gifts were more of an enjoyment for her parents while the birthday girl enjoyed the wrapping paper more than anything. Typical.  It took her a few days and some of Mom's help but she finally figured out how to walk with the corn popper toy. She also got some blocks which so far, again, Mom and Dad are enjoying more than she is!



J.E.B. gave her what I consider her best gift. He made her a height stick as one of his woodworking projects. He carved out the letter V at the top and etched out 1/2 inch increments for 6 feet. We're both pretty excited to keep adding her height to it as she gets older.





Here is a picture taken on 9 June 2010, two days after her birth. She was so small and it was so scary seeing her hooked up to all those wires. Luckily our little girl is doing great and is full of energy and personality!




No comments:

Post a Comment