Saturday, January 15, 2011

Flagstaff Part 2 -- Snow Shoeing

We went to the Flagstaff Nordic Center one day and rented snowshoes. For some reason I had it in my head that the snowshoes we'd be getting would be the kind you see in old pictures, you know, the wooden ones with rope lattice. Almost look like tennis rackets. Nope, not the case. These were fancy-dancy snowshoes and a simple clip and snap and BAM! You're ready to go!

Jed and J.E.B. took the babies while Molly and I took the packs (not that either of us expected to do a diaper change in the snow, but you never can be too prepared!). I'm not sure how long the trek was, I think it was about a mile loop. Both Mikey and V did great, although toward the end they did get tired of it all. I think V got a little chilly since she seemed to lesser her tantrum once she was bundled up in J.E.B.'s coat again (he'd unzipped it when he started to sweat!)

We followed the snowshoe trail but J.E.B. felt that was too easy so he walked next to us off the path in the unbroken snow. I followed him for a bit, generally trying to step in his steps as that was easier, but always ended up going back to the path!

What a fun experience!

The Dads and their kiddos!



I loved walking through The Woods near my house in CT when I was younger. This (kind of) reminded me of it, although there was no Bear Pit! :)

Jed and Mikey, who is looking too cool for words with his nifty sunglasses!

Action shot of Molly

The cross country skiing trail is in the foreground and the show shoe trail winds into the woods at the left


J.E.B. had V and himself all bundled up but soon realized that trekking through snow carrying a 14lbs baby is bound to make you hot. About 10 minutes into the walk the beanie and gloves came off and the jacket was unzipped!

Too cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment